The database file contains names, email addresses, passwords, ID numbers, addresses, maritual status, income, company directorships held, employment details as well as property ownership information. Basically, everything a thieve needs to go buy a house on your name. Or worse.
Your personal details might have leaked out in this security breach.
How do you check if your email address(es) was part of the security breach? Head over to https://haveibeenpwned.com/ and type in your email address. IF your account was compromized, it will show you where it was compromized.
How do I protect myself?
- Change your email password, in your cPanel, RIGHT NOW.
- Don't ever use the same password for more than 1 service. Ever! In other words, don't use the same password on Facebook and Twitter. To help remember passwords, download a use Keepass to save your passwords.
- Where possible, use 2 Factor Authentication. This adds an extra layer of security to any website you use.
- Facebook 2 Factor Authentication: https://www.facebook.com/help/148233965247823
- Google 2 Factor Authentication: https://www.google.com/landing/2step/
- Twitter 2 Factor Authentication: https://support.twitter.com/articles/20170388
- Linked In 2 Factor Authentication: https://www.linkedin.com/help/linkedin/answer/544/turning-two-step-verification-on-and-off?lang=en
- PayPal 2 Factor Authentication: https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-do-i-enable-2fa-(two-factor-authentication)-for-my-paypal-powered-by-braintree-user-faq3500
WebHostingZone will be implementing, and enforing 2 Factor Authentication asof the 1st November. Further instructions on how to enable and use 2Factor Authenticion on the WebHostingZone billing portal, and cPanel will be sent out shortly.
Some reading on this matter:
Listed to this Podcast on this security breach as well: http://www.htxt.co.za/2017/10/20/your-id-number-is-online-why-thats-bad-and-what-you-can-do/
Monday, October 23, 2017